Agra is one of the most popular tourist destinations in India. This doesn’t surprise us! The most renowned mausoleums in the world, Taj Mahal is situated here. However, there are plenty of other significant architectural attractions in this city. It’s also known for its jewelers and craftsmen. Agra is a part of the Golden Triangle route which also includes Delhi and Jaipur. Tourists all over the world have been coming here for years to explore these directions.
Unfortunately, such popularity among tourists created a huge disadvantage. Many locals try to profit from the guests. The taxi drivers and guides will offer you higher rates and recommend places like restaurants and hotels where they get commissions for bringing customers.
Agra Hotel Guide
There are hotels and other accommodation opportunities in Agra which can satisfy a tourist with any budget and needs. Typically, guests stay in this city for a couple of days and the level of services should be enough to offer them everything they require for a comfortable vacation. However, mind, that the photos on booking platforms don’t always correspond with what’s waiting for you in reality. So, always choose your hotel based on the reviews of previous guests.
Tajganj is the most convenient district to stay in. The Taj Mahal is located within a walking distance from there. Here you shall find accommodation options at various rates and categories. The prices are a bit higher than in the rest of the city but not critically. Rakabganj is another popular place to dwell. It’s located close to Agra Fort and the Pearl Mosque.
Hotels in Agra can cost from several dollars per night to several hundred. Staying even in the hotel of the international network is still cheaper than in a similar one in Europe.
Five-Star Hotels in Agra
The majority of five-star hotels in Agra have stunning landscape designs with gardens, pools, ponds and spacious terraces. They offer their guests not only excellent suites but also restaurants with both international and Indian cuisines, lounge bars, shopping malls, golf fields, Spa centers, and other fascinating amenities. The luxurious hotels in the center of Agra will delight you with breathtaking panoramic views of the city and the magnificent palace. Imagine enjoying a glass of wine overlooking such marvelous scenery.
Travelers especially love staying in these five-star hotels in Agra:
The Oberoi Amarvilas Agra;
Courtyard by Marriott Agra.
Cheap Hotels in Agra under $15 per night
Cheap hotels in Agra have a simple and limited spectrum of services. The rooms won’t surprise you with sophisticated designs or king-size beds. It’s a perfect choice for those travelers who come to India to explore its culture, history, and traditions and don’t want to overpay. Budget hotels typically offer their residents small rooms with a common or a private bathroom. Sometimes, cheap hotels in Agra have a common kitchen where the guests can cook whatever they want. However, why wasting time on that when there is such a diversity of affordable restaurants in the city.
We prepared a list of cheap hotels in Agra which cost less than $15 per night for two. You shall find more options on our website.
Yoga Guest House;
Max Guest House;
Hotel Ravi Palace.
How to get to Agra from the Airport?
Flights usually arrive at Kheria Airport which is located only 6 km away from the city.
There are special prepaid taxi stands at the airport. A ride to the center of Agra will cost you around $5. Moreover, there are public transport stops near the airport, but we would not recommend you using their services. It’s difficult to find out their schedules and routes. Moreover, imagine riding inside a stuffy bus filled with locals and holding lots of luggage of your own.
What’s the best season to visit Agra?
The beginning of October is the best time to visit Agra. The raining season is over and it’s not that unbearably hot. If you choose this period, be ready for the crowds of people. There are many tourists during autumn and winter as no one wants to suffer from the heat. Clearly, all of them come to see the major attractions so keep this in mind during planning your trip.
What to see in Agra?
1. The Taj Mahal is the legendary landscape of Indian. It’s the eighth Wonder of the World and the main architectural creation. If you want to see this magnificent place without people, come here really early. But be ready to endure the fact that there are going to be strangers on the photos you take. It’s nearly impossible to admire this attraction of white marble alone;
2. Agra Fort is another splendid destination located 2.5 km from the Taj Mahal. Better take a cab or a rickshaw instead of walking to the place. Plan to spend at least several hours admiring its architecture and atmosphere;
3. Tomb of I'timād-ud-Daulah is often called the “Baby Taj” and not without a reason. It does really resemble the renowned palace. It’s located in the middle of a marvelous garden where you can meet many colorful birds and chipmunks.
4. Akbar’s Tomb can be found in the suburbs of Agra, in a small village of Sikandra. Here you shall find the tomb of the great Mughal emperor and his two daughters. The surrounding gardens have plenty of animals including monkeys, chipmunks, antelopes, and even beautiful peacocks;
5. Mehtab Bagh is one of the most charming and stunning parks in Agra. It’s located on the other bank of the Yamuna River. You can reach this place by taking a ferry from the Taj Mahal and spend a relaxing day exploring the park’s territory in the shades of trees.