Calgary is a picturesque town located only 50 miles away from the Canadian Rockies. It’s a modern megalopolis and a popular resort for many tourists. Its convenient location makes it easy to get to many skiing resorts like Fernie or Kimberley. The city is famous for its parks, cultural attractions, and love for the Wild West traditions. It’s often called “the Canadian Texas” due to its annual tradition to throw a festival devoted to cowboys and their lifestyle called Stampede. Moreover, there are many natural destinations and parks around the megalopolis, that attract more and more guests. Clearly, the most comfortable and the quickest way to explore Calgary and its neighborhood is on a rental car.
Discover Calgary on a Rental Car
Calgary doesn’t suffer from many traffic jams and it’s easy to move from one end town to another. Make sure that you get acquainted with the road regulations before you start driving, there are some peculiarities you ought to know. The public transportation system is pretty developed, but it’s more pleasant to discover the megalopolis on a rental car, without diving into the city fuss and checking out the schedules.
As many tourist attractions are scattered all over the megalopolis, the fastest way to explore them with comfort is in a car. Moreover, the suburbs and the neighboring areas are rich in natural parks and beautiful getaways. It’ll be a crime not to visit them during your stay. And if you are an active sports fan, you must visit one of the skiing resorts!
Where to rent a car in Calgary
If you are traveling to Calgary on a plane, the most convenient way to get a rental car is to pick it up at the airport just after your arrival. It’s the most efficient way to reach your hotel especially when you are traveling with a family or friends. In case the airport is not the most convenient location for you, there are plenty of offices throughout the city. Here are some of the addresses:
- 129 17 Avenue SE
- 3318 32 Street NE
- 626 58 Avenue SE
- 1525 16 Avenue NW
It will take you no longer than 10 minutes to sign all the papers. But we always recommend our customers to choose and book their rental cars in advance to make sure everything goes smoothly.
Cost of a rental car in Calgary
Most of the worldwide known car rental providers are presented in Calgary. Among them, you shall find Hertz, Budget, National, Alamo, Dollar, and Thrifty. They offer competitive prices and excellent services due to a big demand. The cost mainly depends on the length of your booking, the model and class of the vehicle, and the location of the office. If you book in advance, you can also find great deals and save your money.
The economy Chevrolet Spark will cost you $43 per day and about $220 a week. If you are traveling with friends or a family and require a bigger vehicle, for the Dodge Grand Caravan with 7 seats you will pay about $67 per day and $368 a week.
Places to see in Calgary
Calgary is a city of contrasts. Don’t think that we like this cliche, but it really is very diverse. There are over 180 districts in this varied megalopolis, including some traditional ones like the Chinatown. There over 500 various churches and cathedrals, a wide range of museums, opera houses, theatres, galleries and sports attractions. We advise you to choose and list the destinations you want to visit during your stay. Create a route, but don’t be afraid to neglect it if something vivid catches your sight. We prepared a small set of tourist attractions you might want to attend:
- Firstly, let’s admire the panoramic view of the town, climbing up the famous Calgary Tower built in 1968 and devoted to the city’s 100s anniversary. 191 meters in height the tower offers its guests an excellent observation deck, a fine restaurant with refined cuisine and a bar. If the weather is sunny and cloudless, you can see the Canadian Rockies;
- Telus Spark is one of the biggest in the world interactive museum, comprising 35 halls each devoted to another topic. It’s a perfect place to visit with kids. Clearly, it will take you almost a whole day to explore all the exhibits the museum has, but it’s definitely worth it;
- From the modern world and all the technical and scientific achievements we have, let’s dive into the past at the Heritage Park. Located on the banks of the Glenmore Reservoir, along with the city's southwestern edge, this place depicts the lifestyle and traditions of the Canadian town in the XIX-XX centuries. Here you can see over 150 various historical building including shops, houses, hotels, fully furnished and decorated in the style typical for that epoch. You can also taste some dishes cooked following the old recipes.
Attractions near Calgary
Calgary’s location is so scenic, that there is a wide range of beautiful places and resorts situated only in 1-2 hours away from the town. The nature in this area is extremely beautiful and fresh. If you are not limited in time and want to escape from the megalopolis, pack warm clothes and shoes, charge your camera and head to discover the diversity of the neighboring areas. In case you don’t know where to go, here’s a small list:
- The Town of Banff is located on the territory of the Banff National Park only 78 miles away from the city. It has all the facilities that guarantee an unforgettable vacation - lodging opportunities, tours, restaurants with live music and the stunning views. It has a wide range of outdoor activities, including hiking, horseback riding, skiing and more! By the way, here you can meet a real bear;
- Only 55 km away from Banff, locates the most picturesque resort in the world - Lake Louise. Here you will find 4 mountains to ski and to snowboard, a variety of hiking opportunities, attend theatres and opera houses, and just admire the most breathtaking views in your life. It’s a perfect place to spend a weekend after a week of tours around Calgary. Relax in mineral springs, enjoy shopping or just a glass of wine on the porch of the hotel;
- Calaway Park is an awesome amusement park located only 10 miles away from the megalopolis. A perfect spot to spend a fun day with your family or friends, enjoying 23 rides and grabbing snacks at over 20 food stalls and cafes. Here you will dive into a festive atmosphere created by a band performing live, decorations and son et Lumiere.