Montreal is the second in size Canadian megalopolis with French-speaking citizens. When you come to this city, you dive into its atmosphere of freedom and can’t help but start seeking for adventures. When you walk down its cobbled streets or wander through its emerald green parks, enjoy marvelous views of dozen islands and nature, you feel like a movie star, and the action is about to begin.
Explore Montreal on a Rental Car
The most comfortable and efficient way to move around the city for its guests is a rental car. As the town is so vivid and most of the attractions are scattered throughout its territory, it’s nearly impossible to see most of them without a rental car. Moreover, the nature of Quebec and a variety of Natural Parks is so diverse that it’s a crime to stay within the town’s boundaries and not to admire all the beauty in the neighboring areas.
If you decide to book a rental car in Montreal, pay special attention to reading the road regulations. Even if you had already been to other parts of Canada, the rules are different in each province. The price for parking is typically around 3 CAD per hour. Also, keep it in mind that you need to have over 1 year of the driving experience to be allowed to get a rental car in this city.
Where to rent a car in Montreal?
You can find offices of the car rental providers all over the town. If you are arriving at the Montréal–Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport, you shall find lots of worldwide known companies offering their services. But don’t worry if you didn’t manage to get a rental car at the airport. Here are some of the locations in the city:
- 9380 Boulevard Pie-IX
- 5210 Rue Jean-Talon Ouest
- 1200 Rue Stanley
- 7200 Boul St-Laurent
The registration is about 10 minutes. Make sure you check your vehicle carefully before you accept it and hit the road.
Cost of a rental car in Montreal
Montreal has both local and global companies that successfully operate and offer their services at competitive prices. Here you shall find such companies as Hertz, Alamo, National, Budget, Dollar, and others. The price of a rental car depends on the location of the office, the duration of your booking, and, clearly, the model and the class of the vehicle.
The average price for an auto in Montreal is about 45-65 CAD per day. The cheapest economy vehicle will cost you approximately 35-40 CAD. But keep it in mind, that the earlier you book your rental car, less you’d have to pay for it. Thus, if you are planning your trip beforehand, choose an auto on our website, compare the prices in various locations and just pick it up on your arrival.
What to see in Montreal?
Montreal is a green city with old French-style buildings, excellent Universities, and picturesque views. The symbol of the town is the famous Mont-Royal Mountain with a beautiful park and a monument on the top. From it, the city spreads before your eyes depicted in its most stunning way. In this megalopolis, you can enjoy wonderful shopping, visit a variety of museums, art-galleries and attend marvelous restaurants and bars. We suggest you create a route with a list of destinations you would like to see. Here are some of the places you ought to explore:
- Old Montreal is the oldest district in the city which has some architectural masterpieces left from the New France epoch. As you can guess, this district has the biggest amount of the most precious attractions. Devote one day of your stay in this beautiful town to wandering around this district and admiring its sights. Here you shall find the famous Notre-Dame Basilica built back in 1829, the Old Port with a Clock Tower, the Jacques Cartier Bridge and many other.
- If you want to dive into the European-style neighborhood, the Bernard Avenue is a right choice for you! This place is a marvelous residation area with excellent cafes and restaurants, groceries and bakeries. Try the most delicious ice-cream, Sangria, and Mediterranean cuisine, explore local shops and bookstalls. If you close your eyes, there’s a chance to believe that you are actually in Europe. One of the benefits of this avenue is that it’s not crowded with tourists;
- In case you are tired of sightseeing, head to the Monkland Avenue. Here the best boutiques and unique shops are located, in which you will find something fitting both your budget and taste. Another wonderful thing to experience in this avenue is come here in the morning and enjoy a fresh and tasty breakfast. Local restaurants and cafes offer delicious bagels, traditional bacon and eggs, croissant and more.
Exciting attractions near Montreal
Montreal is surrounded by a huge amount of Natural parks, waterfalls, picturesque locations and historic museums. On a rental car, you can easily discover most of the sights nearby the city, as most of them are located only 1-2 hours drive away. If you are limited in time, here are three exciting attractions to check out during your visit:
- If you like animals and always dreamt about feeding them from your auto, head to the Omega Park which is only 1.30 hour away from the megalopolis. This is a marvelous place, where animals freely move all over its huge territory and visitors can treat them with some carrots, peanut or other tasty snacks the animals love. Here you shall meet deer, moose, wild boars, bison, and admire more dangerous species from a distance like a wolf, bear, polar fox. It’s a perfect place to spend a day with your family!
- Rawdon is a place famous for its magnificent natural destinations. It will take you only 1 hour to get to the site and start exploring the beauty of the Northern nature. There three main attractions here you must visit - the beach on an artificial lake, the Dorwin Falls park and the Cascades park. Stunning nature, water attractions, places to grab a snack and more can be found in this area;
- Only 30 minutes from the town you can attend the fascinating Canadian Railway Museum. It comprises over 140 exhibits and nearly 250.000 objects that depict Canada’s railway history. Here you can not only check out the vehicles but also enjoy a ride on some of the old-school models! Kids and all trains fans will be delighted!