The Field Marshals’ Hall, or the Feldherrnhalle in Munich, is the architectural landmark of the first part of the 19th century. The building is a great hall with arches, the height of each is 20 meters. The hall is made in the style of the Loggia dei Lanzi in Florence. The Feldherrnhalle is a symbol of the Bavarian military glory, and the hall became a culminating element of the Ludwigstrasse in Munich.
History of the Feldherrnhalle’s Origin
This Munich landmark was built by the architect Friedrich von Gärtner between the 1841 and 1844 years by the order of King Ludwig I of Bavaria. The building supposed to be a start of Ludwigstrasse, helping to systematize the design of the city streets.
The Feldherrnhalle was dedicated to the honorable Bavarian commanders, who distinguished themselves in the wars. Here you can see a bronze statue of Johann Tserclaes, the commander, who was the Catholic League’s field marshal, and also a monument of Prince von Wrede, the commander of a division of the Napoleon’s army, who afterwards had become a generalissimo of the Bavarian army, in the niches of the arcade.
The Lion Sculptures
There are two bronze lions in addition to the monuments of the commanders at the entrance to the Arcade. One of them is depicted with the open mouth and turned towards the king's manor, and another one is made with the closed mouth facing the temple. The lions are the symbols of ancient wisdom, which says: "You can argue with the monarch, but do not dare to argue with the Lord."
Apart from being both the landmark of Germany and symbol of the Bavarian glory, the Feldherrnhalle is also famous for the Beer Hall Putsch that was suppressed by Adolf Hitler and Erich Ludendorff near the Arcade in 1923. After some time after it, Hitler proclaimed the event as a significant moment in the history of Germany, and as long as the German Reich existed, all Nazi marches were finished only in front of the Feldherrnhalle.
For many years, this fact left the mark of the Nazi invasion on this monument of glory, and only after a while, the Germans remembered the original purpose of the Field Marshal’s Hall. Nowadays, the walking and bus tours are conducted here, during which the guides tell the story about the monuments and the great commanders who glorified the country.
Information for Tourists
Address: Residenzstrasse 1, Munich.
How to Get: The Feldherrnhalle is situated on the Odeonsplatz.
- Metro: lines U3, U4, U5, U6, go to the station Odeonsplatz, and then follow the directions to the square;
- By bus no. 100, 40, 41, go to the Odeonsplatz stop.
For a more detailed familiarization with the history and architecture of the city, it is worth to visit the Nymphenburg Palace, a former residence of the Bavarian rulers.
Find the best Munich hotels at affordable prices.