Adler is a microdistrict and the administrative center of Sochi. It’s also one of the most renowned and popular resorts of Krasnodar Krai. This place frequently hosts various forums, cultural, economic, and other events of the international level. The 2014 Winter Olympic Games also took place in Adler. Even though Adler is just a microdistrict, it can’t stop it from being the largest sea and recreation resort in Sochi. The word “adler” has the Abkhazian origin and translates as a “wharf”. What made an average coastal district a large and full-scale administrative unit? What year became the crucial point in its history? This place deserves to be noticed.
Districts of Adler
Population of Adler
A brief history of Adler
This territory was not that populated until the end of the Caucasian War. The mass settling started in 1869. The construction of the Adler-Kbaade roadway triggered this. The construction was erected without any special equipment and required a lot of workers. In 1915, customs appeared in Adler. Its convenient location favored the trading relations with Turkey.
Nowadays, Adler is being actively built up. New hotels, restaurants, malls open here regularly. The southernmost point of Krasnodar Krai annually attracts hundreds of thousands of tourists who come here to have a great vacation and improve health. The 2014 Winter Olympic Games triggered the contemporary development of this district. The infrastructure was restored and a special Olympic Village was built. After the Olympiad, a sports resort and Formula-1 track appeared here.
The best time to visit Adler
If you are looking for a nice place to eat at a fair price in Adlet, drop by the cafe called “Udacha” (Luck), a dining-room “Barabulka”, cafe “Solnishko” (the Sun), and a restaurant “Barkhatnyy Sezon”. Don’t let this weird titles misguide you. They serve delicious dishes at pleasant prices.
The cost of accommodation options in Sochi depends on the season. If you don’t want to pay the extra money, consider skipping the high and middle seasons and visiting Adler in the period from February to March and from May to June.
Shops in the city are the best places to purchase souvenirs. The same products will cost 5 times more in the coastal area.
What should a tourist do in Adler?
- Attend the Russian Disney World, Sochi Park. It offers a diversity of attractions both for adults and children located on the territory of 20 hectares. The opening of the park was timed to coincide with the 2014 Winter Olympic Games.
- Take a tour of the Olympic Park. The ice rink, curling center, and other famous courts are now open to tourists.
- Become a spectator of the Formula-1 race at Sochi Autodrom. The track is located not far from the Olympic Village. Every year, racers with worldwide known names compete on this track.
- Listen to the singing fountains that are extremely popular among the tourists. Their main advantage is that they operate all year round.
- Enjoy a walk along the Olympic waterfront that incloses the most of the Imereti Harbor. It’s a wonderful place for picturesque photographs. There are no wave cutters here and that’s the main raisin of the waterfront. This allows creating excellent pictures with sea views.
- Feel all the beauty and uniqueness of the local nature after seeing the waterfall called “Glubokiy Yar”, “Dragon’s Mouth”, Akh-Tsu Gorge wet and dry canyons of Psakho, the trails of Psakho, and the oldest arboretum park called “Southern Cultures”.
- Swim in the Black Sea, drink some mineral water, and apply a local mud mask. Adler is renowned not only for its beaches. It has plenty of mud wells.
- Don’t miss a chance to attend the waterpark called “Amfibius”. It offers various attractions and water slides located on the territory of 2 hectares. Both children and adults will find here entertainment here to their liking.
- Travelers with children should definitely visit the largest oceanarium in Russia called “Sochi Discovery World Aquarium”.