Dubai is the largest city in the UAE that lies on the bank of the Persian Gulf. It strikes the imagination from at first sight. It seems that you are in the movie about the high-technology future where everything is possible. People here create wildlife sanctuaries, build canals, erect skyscrapers made of glass, build shopping centers that look like small towns. They even have their Little Venice of Dubai! The splendor and luxury became the lifestyle of this largest trading, finance, and tourist megalopolis in the Middle East. Local emirs try to demonstrate the beauty and magnificence of the city to the whole world. They also aim to create new, incredible, and inimitable constructions that will attract even more tourists.
The gastronomic diversity in Dubai shopping malls and the highest level of service in local restaurants are ready to offer you dishes of any cuisine on the planet. Chefs will amaze even those who have tried everything in their lives.
Administrative territorial division of Dubai
Some people may consider the craving for everything the best to be an excessive bombast. Others will admire the inexpugnable desire of people to create something. Dubai is the world of splendor and progress, the symbiosis of the Ancient East, and futuristic technologies. Wherever you go, you will come across something special, renowned, and probably the best in the world.
A brief history of Dubai
In the 1800s, the city survives the most severe disasters: an epidemic of smallpox and an enormous fire that almost destroyed the town. The advantageous geographical location helped Dubai to regain its feet again. A mind-blowing economic boom happened in the 60s of the XX century. In this period, the locals found the deposits of the “black gold” - oil. This event transformed the lives of local citizens beyond recognition. There were not so many resources. However, the government used it so smartly that a small trading town with ten thousand people turned into one of the most captivating and incredible places on Earth. It seems that everything happened by the wave of the genie’s hand! In Dubai, they say: “We wanted the best and got it even better”. Come to Dubai and see everything with your own eyes. Travel enthusiasts state that if you come here again in three or four years, there’s hardly a chance of recognizing the familiar city. Dubai is so dynamic and rapidly-growing that the whole world lags behind. But the historical center, beauty of the bay, and a desire to create all the best and most incredible on the planet will never change.
Before the trip, you should calculate the approximate budget that you will require for the travel:
The best time to visit Dubai
You can use the metro in Dubai only if you have Nol Card or Nol Ticket. You can purchase this card at every metro station or one of the seven bus stations. You can use this card to pay for a ride on buses and trams. The tickers vary in color and price. Nol Blue is only for the residents of the country. Nol Red is the most suitable option for travelers, and it costs 25 dirhams. The card refills ten times, and then it is considered to be used, and you can throw it away. A passenger can pay for one or several rides according to the Т1, Т2, Т3 rates. It’s forbidden to give your card to anybody else. The cost of a metro ride depends on the type of card and the zones you pass through. A trip in golden carriage costs from 6 to 15 Dirhams. That’s two times more than an average one. The golden carriages are the first ones. They don’t have a driver’s cabin, and you can admire the city view from the windshield.
It’s forbidden to eat, drink, chew gum, and smoke at metro stations. Otherwise, the fine is 100 Dirhams.
Public lavatories in Dubai are located in museums, shopping malls, and parks. In many toilets, you can choose a towel - paper or honeycomb towels - after washing hands. Everything is automated and has sensory automation.
There are two prices on price tags in shops. The one is written in familiar Arabic figures. The other one is also written in Arabic, but we won’t understand it. Only “one” and “nine” look similar to the figures we know.
What should a tourist do in Dubai?
- Reach the top of the Burj Khalifa. That’s a symbol of Dubai and the highest building in the world (828 meters, 163 floors). The observation decks of the skyscraper offer mind-blowing views of the city. The best time to go to the Burj Khalifa is either early in the morning or after the sunset. Once you have come down on the earth from the breathtaking height, you will come across another wonder of Dubai. This is the largest music and dancing fountain in the world. It reaches 150 meters in height.
- Visit a bazaar on the bank of the Dubai Creek harbor. You can purchase everything here: from the highest sort of spices to unique golden pieces of jewelry. But it’s not about the goods. Here you can feel and experience the eastern spirit and atmosphere as it is. Learn its features, beauty, and character. Don’t forget to bribe while buying something! That’s a local tradition.
- Take a picture in front of one of the gorgeous hotels in the world. The Burj Al Arab stands for the “Tower of the Arabs”. This snow-white symbol of modern Dubai is built in the form of a sail of the Arabic boat. It is one of the highest and most expensive hotels on the planet. Many scenes from Hollywood movies were filmed here.
- Stroll unhurriedly around the Old Town. Pay special attention to the part that refers to the end of the XIX - beginning of the XX century. Bastakiya is one of the main historical attractions. Its wind towers are iconic models of the local houses erected in the traditional Arabic style. They were used to cool off the houses on hot days. It’s a so-called analog of air-conditioners. You can drop by the restored, oldest fort of Al Fahidi and learn everything about the city in the National Dubai Museum. Besides, there are plenty of galleries, cafes, and souvenir shops here.
- Admire the most opulent undersea world of one of the largest nature museum in the biggest shopping center Dubai Mall. Over thirty thousand of the sea and ocean inhabitants are presented here. A walk along the underwater tunnel of the aquarium is definitely a bright and unforgettable adventure. There, the sharks and exotic fish swim around you
- Get acquainted with Dubai metro, which routes go above the ground. It’s an excellent tour of the city.
- Spend one evening in the roof-top bar on the roof on one of the numerous hotels in the city. Enjoy your cocktail and admire the magnificence of Dubai at night.
- Have fun in the largest roofed themed amusement park in the world. IMG Worlds of Adventure has four zones and over twenty various roller-coaster and attractions that can fit any taste and age.
- Enjoy a ride on the Dubai Eye that offers a magnificent view of the Persian Gulf.
- Try to get into Madinat Jumeirah, the Little Venice of Dubai. It’s not that simple to do this. The most beautiful and expensive lux resort in Dubai has robust security and permits only the residents of the hotel to the territory. However, there are still two options. The first one is to book a table at one of the 44 restaurants of the complex. Or you can choose the second option which is cheaper and buy a tour on the Abra boat. It lasts twenty minutes and goes along the main canals of Madinat. That’s more than enough to get into a true Arabic fairy-tale.
- You can’t miss the marvelous Miracle Garden located in the suburbs of the city. It’s the most extraordinary garden in the world. The majority of flowers are planted in the shapes of figures and altogether create a huge flower garden with inimitable fragrances and colors. Unfortunately, the garden is closed in summer due to the unbearable heat.
- Buy dates as souvenirs for your family and friends. They are splendid here: fleshy and juicy, stuffed with nuts, or cooked in some other way. It will be the perfect present from the country of luxury and dreams.