Aspen is a picturesque city in Colorado, United States. First of all, it is known as one of the most prestigious ski resorts. Hundreds of tourists come here to conquer snowy arduous hills and feel real winter magic. A cozy and romantic atmosphere is everywhere — in lovely wooden houses, yellow lights, and amazing landscapes. Aspen is the happy mean for both active and lazy tourists. You can try an extreme or peaceful vacation here. Everyone will find time for long walks and breathtaking entertainment. Clear air, green pines, and fluffy snow won’t leave you indifferent.
But their plans were interrupted by World War II. After the war, in 1950, the city hosted the FIS World Championships. Aspen was then on the path to becoming one of the leading ski resorts. The area would continue to develop with the foundation of three additional ski areas, Aspen Mountain (1958), Aspen Highlands (1958) и Snowmass (1967).
At the end of the 20th century, the city became a popular holiday destination among celebrities.
Nowadays, Aspen is the most popular tourist destination. Moreover, it is the area with the most expensive real estate property in the USA.
The Best Time to Visit Aspen
The Aspen Mountain ski area is a perfect choice for professionals. While Buttermilk and Snowmass are good for people with any training level. The longest ski trail in Snowmass is 8.2 km long, in Buttermilk — 4.8 km, and in Aspen Highlands — 5.6 km.
Aspen has about 120 restaurants, more than 50 bars and cafes, 4 movie theatres, and about 10 nightclubs.
Tourists can use one ski pass with access to all ski areas. Children under 18 can benefit from the discount. Admission is free for kids under 7.
A shuttle bus connects you to the four Aspen Ski Co mountains. The shuttle operates between 8 AM to 5 PM and is free of charge.
Tourists who prefer eco-vehicles can rent mountain bikes and conquer picturesque winding roads.
Many large companies offer car rental services in Denver and Aspen airports.
What a tourist should do in Aspen
- Go skiing, sledding, or snowboarding. Tourists can choose from several ski areas Aspen Mountain, Aspen Highlands, Buttermilk, and Snowmass. The resort offers 200 km ski trails both for the beginners and experienced sportsmen. Mountain slopes are covered with clean, soft, powder-like snow. When coming to Aspen, you should leave at least one day for active rest.
- Admire the beauty of natural landscapes in Maroon Bells. It is one of the most picturesque areas outside the city. Here you can have a picnic by the calm lake, under high pines, and surrounded by mountain tops. It is the place to recharge and find inspiration.
- Go on a Dog Sledding tour in Krabloonik. Dogs that are trained for this kind of sport are bred here. Animals are kept in good conditions and enjoy sedding. The ride will last about two hours and will leave unforgettable emotions.
- See the city from a bird’s eye view. You can go on a balloon flight in Aspen and admire the best views.
- Visit Aspen Art Museum where Interesting contemporary art exhibitions and installations are constantly on a display. Admission to the AAM is free.
- Walk along cozy streets with a cup of coffee. The Aspen atmosphere can be considered a separate attraction. Beautiful Victorian-style buildings, street lamps, lovely cafes, and restaurants are worth a tourist’s attention.
- Enjoy Glenwood Hot Springs Pool, a well-known resort 1 hour away from the city. Its main peculiarity is the world’s largest hot springs pool with a temperature of about 60 °C. You can swim here at any time of year enjoying the great views of the mountains. The pool is illuminated at night.
- Visit one of the local restaurants. For example, Mawa's Kitchen Aspen offers the best French toasts, Pyramid Bistro — various vegan dishes, and Meat & Cheese — deli meat. Finish your meal with a glass of hot mulled wine or wine and go for an evening walk.