Tourists buy tickets to Atlantic City — a famous resort city on the Atlantic coast in the state of New Jersey (USA) to get the most out of their holidays. During the day, you can relax here on the magnificent sandy beaches, surf, or treat yourself to shopping in giant shopping malls. In the evening, try your luck at one of the many local casinos and dive into the glittering neon lights. Life in this city doesn't stop for a moment, because there's just no time to rest. There are various shows and entertainment programs every night, and sometimes, there are festivals and concerts of world stars. Atlantic City is a combination of hot sun, luxurious views, and entertainment for every taste. It has trendy restaurants, museums, and picturesque promenades. But the main feature is the fireworks of unforgettable emotions that the city gives to millions of its guests.
Map Atlantic City
Each year, the popularity of Atlantic City was gaining momentum and reached its peak in the first half of the twentieth century. Affordable prices, high-quality services, and a wide variety of entertainment made the resort popular and accessible for many people.
However, in the middle of the twentieth century, recreation in Atlantic City began to go out of fashion. The city was able to regain its former glory only after a referendum in 1976 when the gambling business was legalized. New casinos started to appear along the waterfront quickly, attracting new crowds of tourists.
Today's Atlantic City is called the second Las Vegas, although it has many advantages over the famous Sin City.
Before the trip, you should calculate the approximate budget that you will require for the travel:
|from 60 $/night||from 174 $/night||Start - 2.5 $, 1km - 2.49 $||0.71 $/liter||55 $ for 2 person|
The best time to visit Atlantic City
Winters in Atlantic City are also mild, and temperatures rarely drop below -5°C. If you choose to travel in winter, the casinos, museums, and beautiful views will not get away from you. During the Christmas season, some bars and restaurants may be closed, but casinos are usually not.
Anyway, whenever you decide to visit this city, the atmosphere of the holiday will accompany you throughout your journey. Atlantic City is sure to find something to surprise you.
Public transport in Atlantic City is not very developed. The most convenient way to get around is to rent a car at a rental office, especially if you are going to visit places outside the city limits. We recommend walking in the central part of the city so you will see more fascinating attractions. Alternatively, you can take a taxi or the local Jitney minibus, which takes tourists to the most popular sights.
When choosing a place to live in Atlantic City, you should pay special attention to the district. In parts of the city that are far from the ocean, street crime rates are much higher than in central and coastal areas. Avoid nightly walks alone and keep an eye close eye your personal belongings.
Holidays in Atlantic City are usually not cheap, but there are many "package" excursions for those who want to save money. Prices for accommodation typically depend on the weather outside the window. During the hot season, the price increases, and vice versa. But during some holidays (Halloween, Christmas, or Thanksgiving), the price is likely to rise at least twice.
If you decide to spend the evening in the casino, you should determine in advance the amount that you are ready to lose. Cheating during the game is strictly prohibited; photo and video shootings are not desirable either. And also, before visiting the casino, be prepared to show documents confirming that you are 21 years old.
Most nightclubs in Atlantic City have entrance fees, and sometimes they can be over thirty dollars. But in many of these places, you can get a good discount by booking in advance for an event on the guest list.
Many Atlantic City casinos allow you to smoke indoors. If you are sensitive to cigarette smoke, make sure you choose a place for non-smokers.
If you are traveling in a large company, it may be beneficial to rent a limousine for the whole night. Ask the concierge at the hotel to help you with this, and maybe you will give less than $5 per person for your nightly adventure.
What should a tourist do in Atlantic City?
- Take a walk along the famous Boardwalk waterfront. All the buildings there look like they've been carved out of cardboard, and the street itself looks like a pavilion where Disney cartoons are shot. There are several popular casino-hotels on one side and the blue ocean on the other. By the way, for lazy tourists, there are special cozy wheelchairs, which you can rent for an extra fee to enjoy a ride along the promenade.
- Get acquainted with "Lucy the Elephant". Or rather, with a huge elephant-shaped building, which is two miles from the city. Initially, it was used as an office building, then as a bar, and now there are excursions inside of it. The building is divided into six floors, with a spiral staircase and several showrooms inside. Archive photos and other elements of this amazing building will tell you about its history.
- Try the famous toffee from Fralinger's Candy. This is one of the first shops to produce delicious homemade toffee with different tastes since the 1800s. Don't forget to bring sweets with you as a souvenir!
- Enjoy spectacular views from the observation deck of Absecon Lighthouse, the tallest one in New Jersey. And while it no longer performs its navigational functions, its lights still sparkle over the city every night.
- Make your inner child happy and take a ride on the Steel Pier attractions. It's a famous amusement park built on a 300-meter pier. Here you can not only dive into childhood but also take beautiful pictures as a memory.
- Arrange yourself a small gastronomic tour. Atlantic City has plenty of restaurants for every taste and wallet. The dishes of national cuisine include the Caesar salad, cream soup with clams, fried chicken, juicy steak, American cheddar cheese or colby. But be prepared for the fact that it will be challenging deciding on the choice — for example, a variety of desserts in establishments is colossal.