Charlotte is the largest city in North Carolina and the second most important center of financial and banking life in the country. It is located in the eastern United States. Bank of America, the most powerful bank in the United States in terms of assets, chose it to locate their residence. Its convenient geographical location has turned the city into one of the most important air transportation hubs. It holds numerous routes on the way to the European continent. Charlotte is a real mecca for car racing fans. Near the city, there is a track, where the National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing holds popular competitions four times a year. The headquarters of many teams are located in the suburbs. In Charlotte, you can visit many museums, including the NASCAR Hall of Fame.
Districts of Charlotte
Myers Park is a prestigious area with many trendy restaurants, expensive low-rise houses, and boutiques. There are also museums and galleries, green walking paths, and bicycle routes.
NoDa is an arts district and also a local paradise for those who like to relax and drink. Here you will find many bars and restaurants, souvenir shops, galleries, and concert halls.
The famous Charlotte Motor Speedway is located in the Concord neighborhood (a suburb of Charlotte), where a large number of car races are held.
Plaza-Midwood is one of the oldest and most diverse districts. It is home to vintage commission stores, authentic bars and snack bars, popular ice cream cafes, concert venues, and workshops.
Attractions of Charlotte
When visiting a new place, you want to see as many sights as possible. Get acquainted with the information and compile a plan in order not to miss the most interesting things:
Charlotte received the city statute in 1768 and later became the residence of the county. This was mainly due to the efforts of local residents, who built a courthouse with columns and other public facilities. In May 1775, Charlotte made its declaration of disobedience to Britain. The Mecklenburg Orders of May 31, 1775, declared "the power of the king or parliament invalid."
The second half of the XVIII century is famous for the prosperity of the inner parts of North Carolina. The discovery of gold nearby led to an increase in settlements in the Charlotte area. Mining activities contributed to the city's development, and the proximity to the mines led to the appearance here in 1837, a branch of the national mint. At the same time, several banks were opened in the city. Before the California Gold Rush of 1849, Charlotte was the center of gold production in the country.
In the 1850s, Charlotte became the southern end station of the North Carolina railroad. During the Civil War of 1861-1865, thanks to access to the railroad, the city increased the number of important military facilities.
Charlotte survived the war with dignity. African Americans, who made up 40% of the population of Mecklenburg County, were now free. The population of the city has doubled during the 1860s. A new era began with the civil rights movement in the middle of the XX century.
At the same time, the first racing tracks began to appear in Charlotte. In 1949, here was held the first-ever race of professional serial cars NASCAR. And ten years later, the famous Charlotte Motor Speedway racing track was built.
In 1993, a soccer team, Carolina Panthers, was created in Charlotte. In the early 2000s, the city continued its educational and cultural development. In addition, it became a center of professional sports, in particular, car racing. The city has preserved this fame up to the present day.
Before the trip, you should calculate the approximate budget that you will require for the travel:
|from 91 $/night||from 99 $/night||Start - 2.75 $, 1km - 2.63 $||0.65 $/liter||68 $ for 2 person|
The best time to visit Charlotte
The high season comes in June and lasts throughout the summer. Despite the fact that at this time of year it is quite hot, it doesn't bother anyone. In summer, you can spend most of the time in nature and do not refuse yourself active entertainment. The average temperature in June reaches +30°C, in July - +32°C, and in August - + 31°C.
Winters in Charlotte are quite warm. The average temperature is +11-12°C and rarely falls below -1°C. However, at this time, it rains quite often. It is worth coming here in the winter season just for the atmosphere of the Christmas holidays, but prices will be higher during this period.
The city often hosts interesting events, music concerts, sports competitions, and festivals. Every spring, motorsport fans travel to Charlotte to see the Coca-Cola 600 NASCAR race on the Charlotte Motor Speedway. A three-day gastronomic festival, Taste of Charlotte, takes place in June, a balloon festival Ballonfest is in October, and a Renaissance festival in November immerses you in the atmosphere of the Middle Ages.
Things to do in Charlotte
- Visit the best museums in the city. They include the NASCAR Hall of Fame, the Carolina Aviation Museum, the Hendrick Motorsports Complex, the Discovery Place Science Museum, and the Mint Art Museum.
- Drop by the Carowinds Amusement Park for a thrill. Here you can find many attractions for all ages, have a fun day, and at the end, grab a snack in one of the cafes or restaurants on its territory.
- Take a stroll through the Daniel Stowe Botanical Garden. It is divided into seven thematic zones, each featuring unusual plants. There are also ponds, walking trails, and playgrounds in the garden.
- Spend a day outdoors in Liberty Park. Its picturesque green area has a large lake, cozy picnic areas, basketball, tennis, volleyball, soccer, and baseball courts. This place is perfect for a quiet, measured rest.
- Take a closer look at the unusual fountain Metalmorphosis. Its design is made of moving stainless steel plates, forming a giant metal head.
- Come and get unique souvenirs in The Sleepy Poet. It is a marketplace where various vintage things are sold, from antique books to jewelry and furniture.
- Immerse yourself in the history of the city's sporting life by visiting the famous Bank of America Stadium, the National Whitewater Olympic training center, and, of course, the legendary Charlotte Motor Speedway.
- Dine in one of the good local cafes or restaurants. For example, in The Capital Grille, Rooster's Wood Fired Kitchen, The King's Kitchen, Zen Fusion, or Pinky's Westside Grill.