Fort Lauderdale is a resort town located just 37 kilometers from Miami. Its geographic location on the east coast of South Florida has defined its fate and has earned it the title of one of the state's most popular and visited recreation and entertainment centers. More than four thousand restaurants and one hundred and twenty nightclubs are waiting for visitors here. The city is a recognized yachting center. This is due to the high level of infrastructure development and the convenient location of natural bays, as well as the diversity of the underwater world. Every year on December 14th, the city holds a traditional Christmas parade of yachts, which is dedicated to a particular theme. Many tourists from the USA and other countries come to see the grand event. The city also hosts one of the largest exhibitions of yachts and boats in its sphere.
Districts of Fort Lauderdale
Map Fort Lauderdale
Visiting a new place, you want to see as many sights as possible. Get acquainted with the information and make a plan, so you don't miss the most interesting things:
During World War II, Fort Lauderdale housed bases for the American Navy and Coast Guard and a pilot training station. After the war ended, many servicemen stayed here, which caused a demographic explosion.
Fort Lauderdale is now not only one of Florida's most visited resorts but also a major yachting center.
Before the trip, you should calculate the approximate budget that you will require for the travel:
|from 147 $/night||from 235 $/night||Start - 2.78 $, 1km - 1.49 $||0.68 $/liter||52 $ for 2 person|
The best time to visit Fort Lauderdale
The most important holidays in Fort Lauderdale are Independence Day and Christmas when the city is literally crowded with tourists. Among the most interesting events is the annual festival The Seminole Hard Rock Winterfest Boat Parade, held in mid-December, and the annual autumn harvest festival. In spring, students celebrate Spring break at the resort, the beginning of spring vacations. At this time, the beaches are full of fun parties every day.
In January in Fort Lauderdale, you can visit the Las Olas Art Fair, and in March-April, the city hosts a festival of wine and cooking, as well as numerous music festivals.
The Fort Lauderdale International Boat Show, a splendid exhibition of yachts and boats, is among the international events. Usually, it is held in October-November.
Things to do in Fort Lauderdale
- Drive through the city on Sun Trolley. The drive costs only $1 on a small bus stylized as an old streetcar.
- Go to the Antique Car Museum. Here you will find an excellent collection of Packard cars produced in the first half of the XX century.
- Take a yacht trip along the coast. This is a favorite entertainment here as Fort Lauderdale is considered the yachting capital of America.
- Learn about the history of South Florida in the Historical Society & Museum. Its exposition is so vast that it occupies three buildings.
- Admire the exotic butterflies. Butterfly World, the largest butterfly park in the world, is home to about 20,000 of these bright creatures.
- Visit Flamingo Gardens and Wray Botanical Collection. The main Florida symbol, the graceful flamingoes, lives in these botanical gardens.
- Take a boat ride on one of the city's many canals. It is a very popular type of transportation here. There is even a water cab.