Las Vegas is a city that needs no introductions. It is the center of the gambling business and entertainments not only in America but in the whole world. Tourists from every corner of the planet head here to either gamble away their funds or, by a happy chance, win a fortune. Despite its location in the middle of a desert, this place is filled with vital energy. Las Vegas resembles an amusement park for adults where the sky is the limit. It can satisfy any of your wildest dreams: from turning on the renowned Bellagio fountains to gamboling for a while in a huge sandbox in a real bulldozer. Like Americans say, ”wherever you go, you will end up in Las Vegas”.
Districts of Las Vegas
All the districts that are located out of the central part are called Downtown. They can be dangerous for tourists as robbing frequently happens there. The local guides do not recommend staying in Downtown, even if your budget is limited. One should better choose a cheap room in a hostel but within the limits of the central part that is guarded by the police.
Map Las Vegas
Las Vegas won’t be able to impress you with ancient architecture and old castles. But you don’t come here to find all of these, do you? In the city of sins, you have to abstract from the traditional notion of sightseeing and consider this place as decorations for the best vacation in your life.
The population of Las Vegas
A brief history of Las Vegas
The rapid development of the region started in 1844. The 15th of May 1905 is considered to be the official date of Las Vegas’ foundation. There used to be railway roads going through this land, a station for reloading trains, and in the desert, people used to test the nuclear weapon. There was only one hotel in the city where all the travelers could try their luck in a casino.
Everything changed in 1931 when Nevada became the first state where gambling was legalized. It was made to increase the flow of money into the treasury and the population. The local authorities turned out absolutely right.
After World War II, Las Vegas started to attract tourists with an extraordinary spectacle — so-called “nuclear mushrooms”. A ground for testing nuclear weapons was situated only 100 kilometers from the city. People could see the explosions right from the windows of their houses and hotels. Nowadays, the explosions are over. However, there are tourist tours to the testing area, and they are quite popular.
Nowadays, Nevada is included in the list of the top largest and wealthiest states in America. In Las Vegas, money flow like water.
Before the trip, you should calculate the approximate budget that you will require for the travel:
The best time to visit Las Vegas
You will need an American visa to come to the United States. When you have a meeting with a council, don’t boast of having lots of friends in America or speak good English. You should better say that you have mediocre English and just want to come to Las Vegas and try your luck. In 90% of cases, the councils approve.
Las Vegas is an expensive city. If you want to save some money on dwelling, check-in a hotel from Sunday to Thursday. In this period, the prices are 50% cheaper.
Want to have a wedding? These ceremonies are held in the Little White Wedding Chapel or Chapel of the Flowers. You will just need your passports and a Marriage License that costs $60 to get married.
America is famous for its strict laws. Only people over 21 years old are allowed to enter the casino and drink alcohol. Therefore, you always have your passport.
Free breakfasts are not typical in hotels here. However, you can purchase a “special deal” pass to all the buffet services in particular hotels and restaurants. It costs $50 and is active for 24 hours.
Do you want to have a free drink? Come to a casino and don’t forget to call a waitress. But you should tip here if you want to have some strong drinks. They prefer getting chips, and even a one-dollar chip is enough.
What should a tourist do in Las Vegas?
- Wander around Las Vegas’ streets. All the fun begins when darkness falls. Daytime is an excellent chance to get a better look at decorations, finery, and feel the movie mood of the city.
- Get to the highest point. The observation deck of the Stratosphere Hotel offers a picturesque view of the city. Las Vegas looks tiny from the bird’s-eye view, especially on the background of the desert that surrounds it.
- Feel like a thrill-seeker on the roof of the Stratosphere Tower. Here you shall find four attractions that can provide you with an adrenaline rush for the following couple of years. X-Scream, Insanity the Ride, The Big Shot, and Sky Jump are waiting for their heroes.
- Make your childhood dream come true and eat as much as you want sweets and drink soda. In Coca Cola and M&M’s stores, you can try all forbidden sweets for free and buy various souvenirs — from cups to T-shirts and gift sets.
- Leave the city and visit Grand Canyon — one of the deepest canyons in the world and the most incredible geological phenomenon. It is on the UNESCO List of World Heritage Sites.
- Fling yourself into the nightlife of the city. In addition to numerous casinos, Las Vegas offers its tourists a diverse show-program with both free and paid concerts. You can’t go by branded cocktail bars, magicians, and, of course, numerous musicals.
- Get married in one of the local churches. They say that “what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas”. If you are a fan of extraordinary jinks, what stops you from throwing a wedding where Elvis Presley is the best man? You can get a divorce the next day.