Myrtle Beach is a resort city on the Atlantic coast and one of the largest tourist centers in the United States. It is located in the south-east of the country, in South Carolina. The city is an informal capital of the resort area with comfortable, wide beaches, stretching for 97 km along the coast. Here you can not just relax by the ocean and sunbathe but also to visit many attractions. Modern entertainment facilities are offered to tourists for family visits, such as the Myrtle Waves Water Park. It is one of the largest on the east coast of the country. Myrtle Beach is a great holiday destination for golf enthusiasts. Around forty small golf courses are located here. The warm subtropical climate, beautiful beaches, and well-developed infrastructure attract about 14 million tourists annually.
Districts of Myrtle Beach
Map Myrtle Beach
When you visit a new place, you want to see as many sights as possible. Get acquainted with the information and create a plan in order not to miss the most interesting things:
In 1900, the settlement got its present name, Myrtle Beach. It was chosen because of the thick thickets of wax myrtle, which grew everywhere. Around the same time, the first tourists were attracted by the magnificent sandy beaches of the coast.
In 1957, Myrtle Beach received the status of a city. At that time, it was home to over 5000 inhabitants. Until 1993, the U.S. Air Force military base was located here, and after its shutdown, all its property — land and real estate — passed to the city.
A few years later, Myrtle Beach began rapidly gaining popularity as a comfortable resort. Nowadays, not only the residents of the United States and Canada but also guests from many countries around the world like to rest on its beaches.
Before the trip, you should calculate the approximate budget that you will require for the travel:
|from 65 $/night||from 122 $/night||Start - 3.5 $, 1km - 1.55 $||0.64 $/liter||50 $ for 2 person|
The best time to visit Myrtle Beach
Myrtle Beach is a resort for a family vacation. Therefore, here you don't need an excuse to have fun. This city is not inferior to Las Vegas in the number of entertainment programs. Almost every night, there is a show, turning a vacation into a permanent holiday. The most popular shows are held in The Carolina Opry Theater, Barefoot Landing tourist center, at Broadway at the Beach mall, and in the family restaurant Medieval Times.
Things to do in Myrtle Beach
- Visit Freestyle Music Park. Almost all the entertainment of this music and entertainment park is somehow connected with rock music.
- Have fun in Barefoot Landing. It is a major tourist center with nightly theater shows, stores, restaurants, and a mini-zoo.
- Go to the Legends In Concert imitating shows. Together with other programs, it takes place in the huge mall Broadway at the Beach.
- Ride on the attractions of Myrtle Waves. It is one of the most popular parks with water slides and other attractions.
- Admire the views of the coast and ocean. All you need to do is to ride the SkyWheel Ferris — the height is about 57 meters.
- Pet the stingrays. These and other ocean dwellers live in Ripley's Aquarium of Myrtle Beach, one of the most famous aquariums on the coast.
- Go to the rafting by kayak or canoe. The resort offers group tours of the region's protected areas.