Phoenix is located in the state of Arizona, in the south-west of the United States, in the Salt River Valley, also known as the Valley of the Sun. The city is situated in the heart of the Sonoran Desert on a large plain and is surrounded by mountains from all sides. Phoenix is the capital and largest city of the state. It is the fifth in the country in terms of population. It is also one of the largest cities in the United States in terms of area. The first mention of Phoenix dates back to 1867. It has many Higher Education Institutions, including the University of Arizona, founded in 1885, the largest in the country. More than 72,000 students attend it. There are several Indian reservations on the outskirts of the city, as well as many irrigated fields. It's easy to travel from Phoenix to explore Sonoran, one of North America's largest and hottest deserts.
Attractions of Phoenix
When visiting a new place, you want to see as many sights as possible. Get acquainted with the information and compile a plan, so you don't miss the most interesting things:
The settlement was rapidly developing, and the population was increasing. In 1880, a railway was built here, which later led to trade relations with other regions.
In 1911, a stone dam was built, which provided the citizens with water and electricity. At that time, it was the largest dam in the world.
In 1912, Phoenix became the capital of the newly formed state of Arizona.
In 1920, the first skyscraper was built here, and in 1929 the airport was constructed.
During the Second World War, the city opened industrial enterprises, producing military goods. Besides, three military bases were built.
In the postwar years, high-tech companies favored Phoenix. They opened their central offices and production facilities here.
In the following decades, the city continued its rapid growth. The flow of tourists increased due to its unusual location in the desert and great recreation opportunities.
Phoenix is now a large metropolis, with developed industry and agriculture, where the headquarters of the largest companies in the U.S. are located.
Before the trip, you should calculate the approximate budget that you will require for the travel:
|from 104 $/night||from 106 $/night||Start - 3.25 $, 1km - 1.4 $||0.77 $/liter||60 $ for 2 person|
The best time to visit Phoenix
A visit to Phoenix can be timed to one of the numerous events taking place in the city. For example, in February, you can see the Buffalo Soldiers Festival. In spring and summer, the town hosts festive events dedicated to rock, electronic and classical music and local theater groups.
Things to do in Phoenix
- Enjoy a walk in Encanto Park. There are large ponds in which birds swim in its territory. Here you can go fishing, and there is a picnic ground, golf course, and entertainment for kids.
- Visit Desert Botanical Garden. This place is always delightful for adults and children of all ages. Here you can see a huge number of different cacti, and if you are lucky, even their flowering. Do not forget to take a look at the butterfly pavilion and see the glass sculptures.
- Visit the Musical Instrument Museum. The huge exposition covers all continents and almost all countries of the world and tells about world-famous musicians. There are also halls where everyone can try to play musical instruments and get acquainted with their sound.
- Learn about the history of Native Americans at the Heard Museum. Here is an interesting exposition of jewelry, clothing, and artifacts of different Indian tribes. There are excursions in the Heard Museum every hour, where you will learn about their life, history, and culture.
- Spend time in the huge shopping center Metrocentеr. Its shopping area is located at 130 thousand square meters, which houses more than 120 stores, 12 cinemas, cafes, restaurants, playgrounds, and a food court.
- Get acquainted with Arizona flora and fauna, as well as see animals from Africa and Asia in the largest U.S. state zoo. This unique project was created in 1962 on 51 hectares to preserve endangered species of animals and plants.
- View dancing sculptures in the Herberger Theater Center. Every year, it holds about 40 different performances, musicals, and plays on its stage.